Gothic

Tytuvėnai Church and Monastery

Tytuvėnai is a little town located in North West Lithuania. Only a bit more than two and a half thousand inhabitants live there. The town is special for being a pilgrimage center where magnificent ensemble of Saint Mary the Virgin church and monastery stands.  Tytuvėnai Church and Monastery is an architectural masterpiece which is thought to be one of the most beautiful baroque monuments in North East Europe. Thus it attracts pilgrims from all over the world.

Vilnius University

Vilnius University is the oldest and the largest university in Lithuania established in 1579. As for a long time it was the only one university in Lithuania, it influenced Lithuanian society a lot. Nowadays it includes 19 academic subdivisions, almost 3000 employees and more than 23700 students in total. The Vilnius University is one of the most important educational institutions in Lithuania which has operated for more than 400 years already.

St. Anne's Church

The Roman catholic St. Anne’s Church in Vilnius was built on the left bank of Vilnia river. Various art forms are found here that were delicately brought together by the best craftsmen. Mostly dominanting are the Brick Gothic style, the flamboyant Gothic style and the late Lithuanian Gothic style. Located right in front of the Bernadine Church, St. Anne’s Church is a very beautiful and pristine architectural structure that accurately represents Lithuanian culture and art.

Kaunas Castle

 

Located near the main avenue in Kaunas called Freedom avenue, the Kaunas Castle is easy to find and both  - interesting and useful to visit. This gothic building used to serve for defensive purposes long time ago, but nowadays it is the main tourism information center in Kaunas.

Trakai Castle

The historical capital of Lithuania is Trakai which is otherwise known as the ‘town of lakes’. Trakai town owns a unique castle which is the only one of its type in the entire Eastern Europe. The castle is surrounded by waters on all four sides and is called the Trakai Island Castle. Though constructed in 1410 just after the famous Battle of Grünenwald as a defense fortress, it was turned into a residence of Grand Dukes of Lithuania Vytautas and Kęstutis.

Syndicate content